Saturday, November 6, 2010

Bountifully Blessed . . .

Day 6:

I am thankful for the opportunity to work and teach my children how to work.


One of the aspects of our learning is to learn how to work. In the Thomas Jefferson Education method, the first learning phase is called the Core Phase. During this phase, children should learn to work and also should play. I try to teach my children how to do all the many things it takes to keep a house in order. The littles, JJ and Peaches, concentrate more on the stewardship they have of their own things; their rooms, belongings, and themselves. So in the mornings, time is spent with them on completing those tasks. Ky and Bugaloo are old enough to help and learn the other things around the house; general cleaning, organization, planning. We try to do all of these things together as a family.

I have seen wonderful things come from this time. Does it all turn out perfectly? NO WAY!! I would have to say that it is a struggle about 50% of the time. Not just a struggle with them, but I have had to completely retrain myself. It is a lot easier to just get it done myself, so the struggle has come from me, changing.

My hope through teaching my children to work is that someday, they can and will want to work in many ways, whether that means in support of their families or in support of others.

Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf, a leader in our church, counseled in a talk:

"Those who are unafraid to roll up their sleeves and lose themselves in the pursuit of worthwhile goals are a blessing to their families, communities, nations, and the Church."

This is a legacy I hope to leave my children.

No comments: