Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Thoroughly Enriched . . .

Well, there is so much I want to say about the experience I had at the TJED Forum on Saturday, but I am not quite sure that I can express how great it was in words. It was a very, very long day, but it was a day that was constantly enriching and educational; a good thing.

The keynote speaker was Dr. Andrew Groft, the President of George Wythe University. He did an absolutely, amazing job. The things that he shared with us made a person want to get out of their comfort zone and make a difference with their children and family. He spoke about the importance of each of us being kings and queens of our families and that each of us, ". . . should engage in small but significant deeds of greatness."

He also said, " We each have a creator and He created us to do something; our virtue." He defined the literal and true meaning of virtue as, " being that which you were created to do or be. Are we? Or are we doing things that dull our virtue?" It was very inspiring and uplifting.

The day was then filled with five more equally amazing and educational classes. I learned more about the importance of using Classical works and how to apply them. I learned about the basic Core phase of the TJed and how to use and apply it at home. It was well worth the long drive, long day, and money. This will definitely be a yearly trip.

I think another thing worth mentioning is the large number of youth that attended the youth forum. I was really impressed by the amount of youth that came to attend and also of the quality of there behavior and demeanor. Well done parents!

I also have to mention the book store that was done by Classic Books and Gifts and the large number of vendors with items to buy or find information on. The book store had a large selection of great, classic books for unbelievable prices, and yes, I too did my part and brought home some great finds. All in all, it was an extremely positive experience and I would encourage anyone that is interested in the importance of leadership for themselves or for children, in a homeschool or otherwise environment, to look into attending a TJED event.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

wish i could have joined you. so glad it was uplifting and great! i have wondered if i would feel guilt going...