Monday, June 28, 2010

Just Wondering . . .

First, an update. Things are going great with us. I feel like the "learning" part of our lives is blending in smoothly with the rest of the everyday grind. When people ask what a typical day with us is like, I think they are a little surprised to learn that our learning is just another part of our day like meals or chores. Most people expect us to have a time set aside for "school". We do, it is just part of what we do. If we feel like starting a chore a little later because we are deep into a great book and the kids don't want to stop (yes, it's happened) then we keep reading. The best part of core phase is that they get to play their little hearts out and eventually they want to learn. It's amazing to experience, but you have to be patient in the process. Having had two children experience the public school system for a couple of years, I not only had to retrain their thought process but my own. It has been hard, but amazing at the same time.

We have been reading Bambi and loving it! It is an amazing story and I love the way the author gives the reader little tastes of nature and life from nature's point of view. We are coming to some critical parts of the story and I am interested to see what kind of conversations they will initiate. We have already had a few good ones. I do want to share with you a portion of my favorite chapter so far. It is not too long, but the author does such a great job of making it come alive to the reader.

The leaves were falling from the great oak at the
meadow's edge. They were falling from all the trees.

One branch of the oak reached high above the
others and stretched far out over the meadow. Two
leaves clung to its very tip.

"It isn't the way it used to be," said the one leaf to the other.

"No," the other leaf answered. "So many of us have fallen
off to-night we're almost the only ones left on our branch."

"You never know who's going to go next, " said
the first leaf. "Even when it was warm and the sun
shone, a storm or a cloudburst would come sometimes,
and many leaves were torn off, though they were
still young. You never know who's going to go next."

"The sun seldom shines now," sighed the second leaf,
"and when it does it gives no warmth. We must have
warmth again"

"Can it be true," said the first leaf, "can it really be true,
that others come take our places when we're gone,
after them still others, and more and more?"

"It is really true," whispered the second leaf. "We
can't even begin to imagine it, it's beyond our powers."

"It makes me very sad," added the first leaf.

They were silent a while. Then the first leaf said quietly
to herself, " Why must we fall? . . ."


Really, I encourage anyone to read this book, it is enriching. I do have a question for you all, what do you do when you have something throw off your schedule for a period of time? What do you do to keep things relatively on track? During the summer is especially hard because you have family visiting, vacations to go on, things throwing the balance off. What do you do?

1 comment:

Being A Mother Who Knows said...

I have been pondering that question and answer as well. My first stage of musing as led me to decide that I have a "summer schedule" and a "not-summer schedule."

During the rest of the year it seems easy to get to bed at a good time and up early. It is easier to do family work and structured free time.

This summer (my first summer of the conveyor belt) I am struggling. We work hard for a lot of the day gardening, mowing, and cleaning up our newly purchached land. We are just so tired when we get to bed! We can't get up in to the morning early like we use to. We are going to bed late too because we are watching the stars a lot.

I've also found that we are reconnecting with family during the summer. These cousins are all on "summer break" and therefore don't have a schedule. They have a "whenever" schedule going on. It's been frustrating. At present I've decide that I must adapt our schedule for the summer so that I can allow ourselves to particpate in all the things summer allows: water, sunshine, gardening, star gazing, cousins, camping, outside work, etc.

I just need to stop being irritated by it now. : )

Thanks for the Bambi recommendation.