Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Lessons Learned at a Homeschool Conference



I just spent two wonderful days at the CHOIS Homeschool Convention.  The messages that I heard there were inspiring, educational, invigorating, informative, and spiritual.  While I very much enjoyed all the presenters and speakers in the workshops, I especially enjoyed being taught by Micheal Farris, Esq.  He is the founder of the Home School Legal Defense Association ( HSLDA ), husband and homeschooling father of 10 children, founding president of Patrick Henry College, author and more.  He is a very informative and straightforward speaker.

I loved hearing about real life homeschooling challenges and successes from all the veterans we heard from.  Here are just some of the thoughts the presenters shared that stood out to me:

  • Write a special life prayer for your children.  I see this as a mission statement for my children.
  • Pray for your kids and let them hear you pray for them.
  • Academics are not the most important thing to teach.  Help them master math and english, but have a broad exposure of everything else.
  • Teaching your kids about God is the foundation, teaching them to believe in God is the ultimate goal.
Michael Farris, Esq. ~  The Spiritual Power of a Mother


  • Don't create an unrealistic atmosphere if your going to have a large family
  • Use paper plates, it's ok.  LOVED THIS! He also said, make sure you can afford it.
  • Protect your family from those things that will steal your time.
  • Children don't need fancy curriculum as much as they need a sane mom.  She needs a place of peace that she can retreat to.  The husband needs to make sure that mom gets the retreat.  
  • The goal is to raise good parents.  You model good families; Goal is to raise good, strong families, not good children.  ( I liked this, I don't want to raise good children, I want them to be good parents and adults, not good children )
  • Have a marriage central household.
  • Schedule times to strengthen your marriage.  If it is not on the schedule, then it is not a priority.  Make it a priority.
Michael Farris, Esq.  ~  Homeschooling Large Families

  • The marriage relationship is preeminent and forms the foundation of the home.
  • Ephesians 5:22 - 28
  • The quality of marriage ultimately depends on the husband. 
Joe and Zan Tyler ~  Lessons in Real Life

  • Knowing about child development is important so we can gain understanding in what is appropriate for our children's learning needs and not expect more or less than they are capable.
  • Development occurs across four strands: Physical, Cognitive (brain development), Social-Emotional, Spiritual
Connie Riser ~  Child Development-The Natural Stages of Learning


I hope this piqued your interest as much as it did mine.  If you have any questions or want more in depth information on something, let me know.  I will end with some of the books that were suggested reading by the presenters and ones that I am definitely going to get my hands on. Enjoy!

Blooms Taxonomy


No comments: