Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Classical Method . . .

I have been reading a couple of books that focus on the classical method. The first, "The Well-Trained Mind" by Jessie Wise and Susan Baure has a lot of great references and some good ideas about how to schedule things. I did not really like a lot of the "texts" that they were giving for education. I felt like there was a lot of repetition in the book and not enough generalization. A lot could have been taken out and there would not have been any content lost. So, I think this book has some good ideas here and there, but overall a little too structured f0r me. This is saying a lot, because I like to be prepared and orderly, but theirs was too much.

Also, they mentioned that young chilrdren, ages 0-9, need to mostly have a lot of memorization. That they don't need to know what something means right now, they can learn later, just memorize it. I find this interesting, especially since all of my children, ages 0-9, when they can talk, ask what everything is and means. I mean what do you say to the 3 year old that constantly asks why? It doesn't matter now, just memorize it and in 7 years I will explain it? I don't agree with that. I think memorization is good, but why not tell them the how and why also.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I had very similar thoughts when I read TWTM. I would make myself crazy trying to keep their suggested schedules. We're MUCH more relaxed. But like you said, there are some great suggestions and things to offer.

It's been several years since I read it and I don't recall the memorization emphasis and not explaining things, but that goes directly against our educational philosophy! I think our children learn so much by connecting all the dots early on. It takes practice teaching it in language they can understand and giving them enough information to answer the question but not talking so much that you cause them to lose interest, but it can be done. And we do! I feel that is all I do all day long is answer questions about things that we're learning and things we've come across in daily life.